Antioxidants are super helpful in ridding the body of toxins and – specifically – in fighting cancer. An antioxidant superfood powder can give your diet that extra boost you need to keep your body (and you mind – read this article for the effects of antioxidants on depression) as healthy as it can be.
You can get antioxidants naturally from many fruits and vegetable. Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and goji berries berries are some of the foods that contain the most antioxidants. (Dark chocolate is also an excellent source of antioxidants.)
The major benefit of taking an antioxidant superfood powder is that you can supercharge your body’s natural detoxifying powers. Supplements made of whole foods (see food v. supplements below) will give you 7-12x more antioxidants than raw fruits, vegetables, and other foods alone.
With that being said, let’s take a few minutes to talk about free radicals, antioxidants, and the basics of evaluating antioxidant superfood powders.
What are free radicals and why do we need antioxidants?
Oxidation occurs when free radicals (highly reactive, high-energy particles) ricochet wildly throughout the body and damage cells. Free radicals can be produced within the body by natural biological processes or introduced from outside via tobacco smoke, toxins, pollutants and sub-optimal eating habits. Free radicals are believed to accelerate the progression of cancer, cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue, and age-related diseases. Antioxidants found in fruits and vegetables help to neutralise free radicals in our bodies.
Food v. Supplements
If you’re supplementing with single dose antioxidants, or a combination of a few isolated antioxidant nutrients, you may not be getting the benefits you hoped for.
- Antioxidants work synergistically: the combined effect is greater than the effect of each of the individual components.
- Antioxidants are more effective when a wide spectrum is ingested.
Various studies have shown that food works better than supplements. This means that, if you are looking for an antioxidant superfood powder, you should look for one that is made from whole foods, not synthetic supplements.
- Isolated nutrients may have powerful antioxidant benefits in vitro (test tube), but they rarely have significant benefits in vivo (humans).
- Foods high in antioxidants have proven benefits in both humans and in vitro.
- A diet rich in fruits and vegetables can help prevent cancers, coronary heart disease and strokes.
- Synthetic antioxidants appear to be so ineffective that they may actually increase cancer risk. In fact, every large clinical trial that has used isolated antioxidant nutrients has failed to show benefit for cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Most isolated antioxidant nutrients are chemically, and structurally, different to those found in foods; and do not have the desired effect in the human body. For instance, research has found that whole tomato powder but not lycopene, a carotenoid found in tomatoes, inhibited prostate carcinogenesis in rats, which demonstrates the superior functionality and efficacy of whole-food nutrition compared with high dose, isolated nutrient, supplementation.
BerryRadical is an organic superfood, designed to assist the body in attaining vibrant health, wellbeing and longevity. The ingredients in BerryRadical have been shown to assist the body in neutralising free radical damage.
- Made from whole foods, not synthetic supplements.
- Freeze dried ingredients are 7-10x more potent than their fresh counterparts (because you can extract the good stuff from 8 kilos of strawberries and put it into a 105g jar).
- Certified organic means no GMOs and no pesticides.
Freeze dried pomegranate powder
- protects against high cholesterol
- protects against prostate cancer
- protects against high blood pressure
- supports the immune system
Raw coffee fruit extract
- provides health benefits associated with glucose management, Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome, depression and anxiety and oral health
Raw, organic cacao powder
- protects cardiovascular health
- improves cognitive function
Freeze dried olive juice extract
- 300 times the antioxidant power of olive oil
- causes cancer cells to die (apoptosis)
- protects red blood cells from free-radical damage
- protects skin cells from UV damage
Freeze dried goji berry powder
- protects against liver cancer
- protects against glaucoma
Freeze dried blueberry powder
- protects blood vessels
- protects against cognitive decline brain health
- inhibits cancer cell growth
Ingredient in Miessence’s Berry Radical Antioxidant Superfood Powder
certified organic raw unrefined cacao powder, dried coffee fruit extract, certified organic freeze-dried pomegranate powder, certified organic freeze-dried maqui berry powder, certified organic freeze-dried acai berry powder, certified organic freeze-dried blueberry powder, certified organic freeze-dried raspberry powder, certified organic freeze-dried strawberry powder, certified organic freeze-dried olive juice extract.
Want a certified organic whole foods antioxidant superfood powder? You can find it here. Get 20% off when you buy a 3-pack. No coupon code required.