If you feel irritable, weak, and exhausted all the time, you may be suffering from a magnesium deficiency. Experts have estimated that anywhere between 50-90% of us are magnesium deficient. Magnesium deficiency can result in things like weight gain, low energy levels, poor bone health, headaches, cardiovascular disease, and a whole host of other things.
Why are so many of us magnesium deficient? A combination of poor diet, depleted soil nutrients, and chronic stressors like diabetes , poor sleep patterns, alcohol consumption, poor gut microbes, and others combined to work against us.
One of the easiest ways to fix a magnesium deficiency is to give your diet an injection of organic, leafy greens with green superfood smoothies.
Men: 400-420 (under 30 vs. over 30)
Women 310-360 (if you are over 30, you need more magnesium, and pregnant women need more magnesium)
Best Green Smoothie Recipe for Boosting Magnesium
This is the smoothie that I drink every single day. If I go a couple of days without it, I start suffering from nutrition withdrawal. Seriously. It’s like caffeine withdrawal for all you coffee drinkers out there (Me too. I ♥ coffee.) But instead of headaches and moodiness, you feel slow and heavy and bloated. The cause? Too much processed junk. Not enough raw greens.
- 1 cup spinach or kale
- 1 tblsp raw cacao powder
- 1 banana or a mix of banana + mango
- 1 tsp Deep Green Alkalising Superfood (Optional. I sneak this into my hubby’s and toddlers’ smoothies as well. Helps boost immunity, improves mental alertness, prevents cancer, reduces allergic reactions, and helps lower cholesterol.)
- 1 tsp honey, agave nectar, or other vegan alternative
- 1 scoop raw, vegan protein powder (Optional. Sweetened with monkfruit. Doesn’t spike blood sugar. This helps give me energy until lunch. Never will I return to cereal.)
- 1 cup water (if you are using the protein powder, which will make it creamy) or 1 cup unsweetened almond
This is one of the breakfast staples in our house.
Note: various sources cite various levels
of magnesium for each of these foods.
For instance, spinach is listed at anywhere from 23.7-157.
On the low end of the magnesium estimate, this smoothie will give you at least 82.5 mg magnesium.
Why do I use Miessence’s supplements?
- certified organic
- no fillers like rice or beans in the superfoods (alkalising greens, probiotics, and antioxidants)
- no added sweeteners (monkfruit in the protein provides natural sweetness)
- toddler approved (protein powder + superfoood supplements + cacao + banana = chocolate milkshake that is secretly better then vitamin supplements – and they actually ask for these smoothies)
- improves mental clarity
- improves mood and mindfulness (Seriously folks: junk in = junk out)
- antioxidants induce apoptosis (destruction) of colon, breast and prostate cancer cells
- improves sleep patterns (i.e. I don’t wake up exhausted! Hooray!)