What’s in your typical organic products?
There are different classifications of “organic” products. If you want something that is truly organic, that is, non GMO, all natural, no synthetic chemicals, no pesticides, then you need to make sure that your products are certified organic, and certified by the proper bodies.
USDA certified organic skin care is on of the highest grades of organic certification that you can get.
Organic certifications can vary quite widely. Many certification standards allow natural-derived and ‘other’ ingredients into their products, which can contain synthetic chemicals and toxic ingredients.
See that 0.5% in the first two images above? That leeway in ingredients can contain contaminants like 1,4-dioxane, a known human carcinogen, and other potentially harmful synthetic chemicals.
Not all “organic” products are created equal.
The best organic certifications out there really are the ones on the right in the image above – the USDA, ACO and NASAA. The moral of the story: USDA certified organic skin care brands are some of the best organic products you can buy.
Different Levels of “Organic“
- 100 % Organic: Must contain only organically produced ingredients. (The USDA seal may appear on the package.)
- Organic: Must contain 95% minimum organically produced ingredients. Products cannot be produced using synthetic preservatives, petrochemicals, ionizing radiation or any other excluded methods. (The USDA seal may appear on the package.)
- Made with Organic Ingredients: Contain at least 70 percent organic ingredients. (The USDA seal cannot be used anywhere on the package.)
Certified Organic Skin Care Timeline
- 2001 – Miessence (Australia) launches world’s first certified organic cosmetics certified to ACO (Australian Certified Organic) organic food grade standards.
- 2003 – ECOCERT (France) develops world’s first standards for ‘natural and organic cosmetics.’ ECOCERT has by far the weakest standard of any in the world.
- 2009 – ACO (Australia) develops standard for cosmetic and skin care products.
- 2011 – 5 European certifiers combine to develop COSMOS cosmetic organic standard.
What does this mean for you, dear consumer? It means that Miessence is the first certified organic skin care line, certified to ACO FOOD GRADE standards. That, my friend, means that it is so safe that you can eat it. It also means that Miessence is:
- certified by both the ACO and the USDA;
- approved by the Environmental Working Group and the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.
Miessence is certified organic by the ACO and the USDA. These are the most stringent organic certifications a company can get.
Miessence’s commitment to good health and the environment is more than skin deep.
Every step of the production process – from harvest to packaging – is stringently checked for quality.
No organic ingredient enters the production process before it has been officially certified organic and no product leaves our warehouse without it passing our multi-faceted quality control tests.
Products are delivered directly to you fresh, within a short time of being made in a unique cold formulation to ensure fully potent living active ingredients.
Miessence’s supply chain, manufacturing processes and freight distribution is 110% certified carbon negative. Carbon negative means they offset MORE than they emit in their manufacturing, transportation and promotion processes.
Their non-toxic, non-leaching packaging meets the standards for organic certification.
They use renewable energy in their production facilities and offices.
Miessence’s organic and wild-harvested ingredients are sourced from certified organic land.
THE PEOPLE INVOLVED
In developing countries,they source organic farmers who are fair trade protected, ensuring that they are paid directly and fairly for their harvest.
Their farmers also employ organic farming best practice to ensure the on-going health of their land.
They also encourage sustainable entrepreneurship around the world through our independent representative network.
Providing business opportunities with a low start up cost enables thousands of people from around the world to improve the quality of life for themselves and their families and do so in a way that is healthy and environmentally responsible.